PRESS STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE BEROM YOUTH MOULDERS-ASSOCIATION(BYM)
The Berom Youth Moulders have received with rude shock the news for the establishment of “RUGA settlement” in Barkin-Ladi and Riyom Local Government Areas of Plateau State by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Credible information available to us revealed that Gashish Community in Barkin-Ladi Local Government Area where over 188 persons, including women, children and the aged were murdered in cold blood by suspected herdsmen in June 2018 have been earmarked for RUGA Settlement project.
We also have information on good authority that villages in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State where dozens of persons have perished as a result of herdsmen attacks have also been pencil down for the RUGA project.
We are aware that this programme which has commenced in some parts of Nigeria including Plateau State has generated serious contention and strife particularly in the South East and South South geo-political zones of the country.
We have also read on Newspapers the statement made by the Chairman of Northern Governor’s Forum and Governor of Plateau State, Rt. Hon. Simon Bako Lalong after a meeting with his Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari where he said that states that are being used for the pilot scheme for the Ruga Settlement applied to joint.
He emphasized that no state in the federation will be coerced to be part of the Ruga Settlement programme.
It is on this premise that the Berom Youth Moulders wish to state their position as follows:
- That the Berom does not have land to donate for the establishment of RUGA settlement in any parts of Barkin-Ladi, Riyom and Jos South Local Government Areas of the state.
- That Beroms are still mourning the colossal lost of lives and properties occasion by the June 23, 2018 attack by herdsmen in Gashish District of Barkin-Ladi Local Government Area of the state where led to the lost of several persons, properties including land.
- That some people are illegally and forcefully occupying lands and communities belonging to the Beroms in Barkin-Ladi and Riyom Local Government Areas where the villagers were attack and chased out.
- That Federal Government should take the necessary steps in the interest of peace and unity by taking and return those lands to the original owners and establish the Police Mobile Barracks in Gashish District of Barkin-Ladi Local Government Area as promised by the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo and President Muhammadu Buhari.
- That the Berom Youth Moulders will support any constitutional moves that will enthrone lasting peace in their communities and Nigeria but will vehemently opposed to forceful take over of our land by Government in whatever guise to compensate our aggressors.
6.The Berom Youth Moulders wish to state unequivocally that there is no Land for RUGA or what ever name Government choose to call it in Berom Land.
- As peace loving and hospitable people, we wish to advice Plateau State Government to listen and adhere to the voice of the citizens before embarking on such projects.
- That just like states in the Federation are not compelled to key into the project, villages, communities and Local Government Areas in the country should not be coerced by their State Government to be part of the RUGA settlement for peace.
Pam Dung Gyang
National Publicity Secretary Berom Youth Moulders-Association (BYM).